Last night we started watching a movie. It was going fine until a character dropped the “GD Bomb.” (there wasn’t really a bomb, he just said a bad word) So, we turned it off. We don’t allow spiritual pollution in our home. What is spiritual pollution? It is those things that degrade your spiritual purity. See, just as your body responds to what you put in it (take in junk, the body degrades; take in good nutrition, the body thrives), your spirit responds to what you expose it to. “Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord. “And do not touch what is unclean; and I will welcome you.” ~ 2 Corinthians 6:17 Depart, depart, go out from there. Touch nothing unclean; go out of the midst of her, purify yourselves, you who carry the vessels of the Lord. ~ Isaiah 52:11 God has set standards for us. If we are to follow Him, we are held to those standards or purity and a desire to become like Him. We must take care to protect ourselves from spiritual pollution. There is a five prong approach to keeping spiritual pollution out of your life:
- Be careful what you read, the movies and TV shows you watch, the music you listen to and the people you are close to. Remember, satan puts beautiful, tempting things before us in an attempt to divert us from God’s path for us. It may be difficult to turn off that R-rated movie or turn off that TV program that promotes promiscuity or revenge or makes fun of God (no matter how innocent it seems or how funny it is), but it is so worth it! When you exercise discipline and make a conscious effort to live the way Christ wants you to, He will bless you.
- Pray without ceasing. This does not mean that you consciously have to pray all the time; just tune yourself in to God. I have praise music playing in my head nearly all the time. I sing it and often it will turn into a prayer. Sometimes I speak aloud to God and other times I am silent. Sometimes I just let the music play and I lift my hands – and I feel Him with me.
- I also ask Him to make me like Him. I want to be like Jesus. Every morning, before I start my day, I ask God to order my steps, let His words be my words, His thoughts be my thoughts, His actions be my actions. I ask Him to kill off the parts of me that aren’t pleasing to Him and to fill me with Him so I can be like Him.
- Become sensitive to His voice. If you are still and tuned in to God’s voice, He will let you know when you are doing something that you shouldn’t be doing. You will feel that discomfort, that twinge of “I shouldn’t be watching this/listening to this/reading this/talking like this/spending so much time with this person (but you need to witness to them and make every effort to lead them to Christ). If you are doing something you shouldn’t, God will let you know. You just have to listen – then obey.
- Be obedient to His word. If you feel the prodding that you shouldn’t be doing something, yet go ahead and do it anyway, that is defiance. You are being defiant to God and disobedient to His commands. That will get you into a lot of trouble. As long as you remain in the presence of God, you have protection from much of what satan throws at you. As long as you are staying close to God, He will protect you from the spiritual pollution.
But you have to make the choice to walk away when you are confronted with it. Turn your back to the world and your eyes to God. That is the only way to be truly free. That is the only way to keep your spirit healthy and pure and clean. One day you will leave your body behind, the world behind, the environment behind. All that will be left will be your spirit. What condition will it be in? It is never too late to start getting rid of the pollution and getting spiritually healthy.